Monday, March 16, 2009

First step to a 5K

Today I began my first training session to run a 5K. I'm using the book, "3 Months to Your First 5K" for my mission. I decided that a 5K would be an achievable goal in my fitness and weight loss effort.

About me; This Friday I will be 38. I'm overweight and out of shape. Its been a long road from 15 years ago when I was a Marine. When I left active duty, I was 215 and in decent shape for my 6' 4" body. I could run 5+ miles, I could hike 25+ with full pack, and more. After the Corps, I spiraled up to where I was likely over 400 lbs. I once owned 56 and 58 inch pants.

About 9 years ago I had surgery to fix my sleep apnea problem. It was a Cath-22. My weight was contributing to my apnea and my apnea was contributing to my weight. After losing my tonsils, adenoids, and uvula; a repaired deviated septum, and trimmed throat tissue, I no longer had apnea. My energy returned, I started sleeping better, I got more exercise, and I started to lose weight.

Flash forward to the last 2 years. I've been up and down in weight between 315 and 330 for a while now. 18 weeks ago I joined Weight Watchers and have been on the downward path. When I started, I was 338. Last week, I came in at 316. I've been consistent at going to the gym but have struggled since I did not have a specific goal in mind. Now I do.

I'm going to run a 5K

No comments:

Post a Comment